- 2 teaspoons margarine
- 3/4 cup chopped onion
- One 16-ounce can pumpkin puree (not pumpkin pie filling)
- 2 cups Homemade Chicken Broth OR canned reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves or ground nutmeg
- 1 cup fat-free milk
- Melt the margarine in a medium saucepan. Saute the onion until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the pumpkin, broth, sugar, salt, and cloves; stir to mix well. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat and simmer for 15 minutes.
- Puree until smooth in a blender or food processor. Return to the saucepan. Add the milk; heat thoroughly but do not boil. Serve at once.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 5 servings (1 cup each)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 318 milligrams
Cholesterol: 1 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 15 grams
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.