- 8 slices (3/4 inch) eggplant (about 1 pound)
- 2 egg whites, lightly beaten or 1/4 cup no-cholesterol real egg product
- 1/2 cup Italian-seasoned dry bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 1 package (16 ounces) prepared Italian-herb polenta, cut into 8 slices
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-4 ounces reduced-fat feta, or goat, cheese, crumbled
- Dip eggplant slices in egg whites and coat with combined bread crumbs and Parmesan cheese. Spray large skillet with cooking spray and heat over medium heat until hot. Cook eggplant until browned on the bottom, about 10 minutes; spray tops of slices with cooking spray and turn. Cook until eggplant is tender and browned on other side, about 10 minutes longer.
- Arrange eggplant in baking pan; top each slice with a slice of polenta and tomato. Sprinkle tomatoes with salt and pepper; sprinkle stack with feta cheese.
- Bake at 450 degrees F. until tomatoes are hot and cheese lightly browned, about 10 minutes.
Purchase package flavored polenta in the produce section; choose any favorite flavor for this dish.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4.5 grams
Sodium: 624 milligrams
Cholesterol: 9 milligrams
Protein: 10.9 grams
Carbohydrates: 35 grams
1 Vegetable, 2 Bread/Starch, 1 Fat
Source: 1,001 Delicious Recipes For People with Diabetes
Book Title: 1,001 Delicious Recipes For People with Diabetes