- 1-3/4 cup dried pinto beans (12 ounces)
- 1-1/4 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Wash and pick over the beans. Cover them with water and soak for 4 hours or overnight; drain.
- Cover the beans with fresh water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender.
- In a medium skillet, saute the onion, garlic, and cumin in the oil for 4 minutes. Add the green pepper and saute 5 minutes longer.
- Drain the beans; reserve 1/2 cup liquid. Mash the beans with the reserved liquid; add the sauteed vegetables, the coriander, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4-1/2 cups (6 servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 14 grams
Sodium: 395 milligrams
Protein: 12 grams
Carbohydrates: 40 grams
Sugars: 5 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
2-1/2 Starch, 1 Very Lean Meat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes