- 1-3/4 cup dried pinto beans (12 ounces)
- 1-1/4 cups chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Wash and pick over the beans. Cover them with water and soak for 4 hours or overnight; drain.
- Cover the beans with fresh water in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil; reduce the heat. Cover and simmer for 1 to 1-1/2 hours, or until the beans are tender.
- In a medium skillet, saute the onion, garlic, and cumin in the oil for 4 minutes. Add the green pepper and saute 5 minutes longer.
- Drain the beans; reserve 1/2 cup liquid. Mash the beans with the reserved liquid; add the sauteed vegetables, the coriander, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4-1/2 cups (6 servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 14 grams
Sodium: 395 milligrams
Protein: 12 grams
Carbohydrates: 40 grams
Sugars: 5 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
2-1/2 Starch, 1 Very Lean Meat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.