- 1-3/4 cups orzo
- 8 oz. shrimp or scallops or a combination, chopped
- 1 cup halved snow peas
- 12 oz. tomatoes, chopped
- 3 oz. feta cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano (or 1/3 cup chopped fresh)
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 2 teaspoons grated lemon zest
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- In a large pot of boiling water cook the orzo for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender but firm; rinse under cold water and drain. Put in large serving bowl.
- In non-stick skillet sprayed with vegetable spray, cook shrimp or scallops over high heat for 2 minutes or until just done at center. Drain any excess liquid. Add to orzo in serving bowl.
- In a saucepan of boiling water, blanch snow peas for 1 minute, or until tender-crisp; refresh in cold water and drain. Place in serving bowl, along with tomatoes and feta cheese.
- In small bowl whisk together olive oil, lemon juice, oregano, garlic, lemon zest and pepper; pour over salad and toss well. Chill before serving.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 8 Servings
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 10 grams
Sodium: 163 milligrams
Cholesterol: 53 milligrams
Protein: 11 grams
Carbohydrates: 23 grams
1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Very Lean Meat, 1-1/2 Fat
Source: The Best Diabetes Cookbook
Book Title: The Best Diabetes Cookbook