- 4 salmon fillets (4 ounce portions), skin removed
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 sprigs fresh tarragon, pulled and roughly chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 cup dry brown or green lentils, rinsed (use 1-1/2 cups canned black bean or small red beans, rinsed, as quick alternative)
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled and smashed
- 1 rosemary sprig
- 1 medium carrot, finely diced
- 1 celery stalk, finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, very finely diced
- 1/4 cup parsley, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped tarragon
- 2 tablespoons red onion, minced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1/4 cup rice or champagne vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/2 cup walnuts, toasted and coarsely chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Lemon wedges
- In medium bowl, combine mustard, canola oil, tarragon and garlic for marinade. Place salmon in marinade and gently toss until thoroughly coated. Place fish in resealable bag in refrigerator for at least 1 hour.
- Heat grill to 375F, when it's too hot to hold hand above coals for more than 5 seconds.
- In 5-quart pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Add lentils, garlic cloves and rosemary sprig. Cook lentils until just tender, about 30 minutes. Strain in colander.
- In plastic bowl or cup with fitted lid, combine red onion, garlic, mustard, vinegar, canola oil, walnuts and pepper. Shake until thoroughly mixed and emulsified. Season with pepper.
- In large bowl, toss lentils, carrots, celery and red onions together. Stir in enough vinaigrette, about 1/4 cup, to coat lentil mixture, and store rest in refrigerator for up to one week. Toss in fresh parsley and tarragon.
- Spray grill rack lightly and cautiously with canola oil cooking spray, then carefully place salmon fillets on hot grill 2 inches apart. Cook on each side 3 to 4 minutes at diagonal angle to grill rack for professional-looking grill marks. Remove salmon from grill and serve over lentil salad. Garnish with lemon wedges, if desired.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 17 grams
Sodium: 230 milligrams
Cholesterol: 60 milligrams
Protein: 34 grams
Carbohydrates: 33 grams
Recipe and image appear courtesy of CanolaInfo.org.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.