- 1 boneless beef chuck shoulder pot roast (2-1/2 to 3 pounds)
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 small onions, halved, sliced
- 4 medium shallots, sliced
- 1/4 cup chopped pitted dates
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- Heat oven to 325F. Lightly coat beef pot roast with flour. Heat oil in Dutch oven over medium heat until hot. Brown pot roast; remove.
- Add 1-1/2 cups water and vinegar to Dutch oven; cook and stir until brown bits attached to pan are dissolved. Return pot roast. Add onions, shallots, dates, salt and pepper; bring to a boil. Cover tightly and cook in 325F oven 2 to 2-1/2 hours or until pot roast is fork-tender. Remove pot roast; keep warm.
- Cook liquid and vegetables over medium-high heat to desired consistency. Carve pot roast. Serve with sauce.
Recipe Yield: Makes 6 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 12 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 1.2 grams
Sodium: 275 milligrams
Cholesterol: 75 milligrams
Protein: 29 grams
Carbohydrates: 16 grams
Recipe and photo appears courtesy of Cattlemen's Beef Promotion Board.