- 1 pound boneless, skinless chicken breast, trimmed of all fat and cut into bite-sized pieces
- 2 cups frozen mixed pepper and onion stir-fry
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup fat-free, low-sodium or regular chicken broth
- 1 (14-1/2 ounce) can low-sodium or regular diced tomato
- 1/2 cup dark raisins
- 1 large bay leaf
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme leaves
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 teaspoon cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Salt to taste (optional)
- In a nonstick skillet coated with nonstick spray coating, cook the chicken pieces over medium heat, turning frequently, until they begin to brown.
- Add the onion and pepper mixture, garlic, oil and 1 tablespoon of the broth to the skillet. Stir up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Raise the heat and bring to a boil.
- Lower the heat again and cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, 2 or 3 minutes, or until the onion is slightly softened. Add the remaining broth, tomato, raisins, bay leaf, thyme, cumin, allspice, cloves, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer, uncovered, about 20 minutes, or until the chicken is tender and the sauce has cooked down slightly. Remove the bay leaf and discard. Add salt to taste (if desired).
- Serve at once, or transfer to a casserole, cover, and refrigerate. The chicken will keep for 2 to 3 days in the refrigerator.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 10 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 106 milligrams
Cholesterol: 27 milligrams
Protein: 11 grams
Carbohydrates: 9 grams
Sugars: 7 grams
1/2 Carbohydrate, 1 Lean Meat
Content Continues Below ⤵
Source: The Diabetes Snack Munch Nibble Nosh Book
Book Title: The Diabetes Snack Munch Nibble Nosh Book