- 1 small pork tenderloin, (about 12 oz.)
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 chipotle chile, (drained, if canned in adobo sauce; rehydrated in warm water if dried), chopped*
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 red bell pepper, OR green, cut into thin strips
- 1 small onion, cut in half and thinly sliced
- 3 cups romaine lettuce, OR iceberg lettuce, coarsely chopped
- Slice pork tenderloin in half lengthwise, and then cut crosswise thinly.
- Toss pork, bacon and chipotle pieces together in small bowl, set aside.
- Combine oil, cumin, oregano and garlic and heat in large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add the bell pepper and onion, stir-fry 2-3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Remove and reserve.
- In same skillet, stir-fry the pork, bacon and chile for 2-3 minutes, until pork is just done and bacon crisp.
- Return the vegetables to the skillet and heat through. Serve over lettuce.
* Wear rubber gloves when handling hot chiles
The dual smoky flavors of bacon and chipotle chile (smoked jalapeno) liven up this quick and healthful stir-fry with pork tenderloin. The contrasts in temperature and texture – a hot savory stir-fry over cool crunchy lettuce – is a treat for the palate.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Serves 4.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 11 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 150 milligrams
Cholesterol: 60 milligrams
Protein: 22 grams
Carbohydrates: 6 grams