- 3 cups cooked orzo pasta (about 1 cup dry)
- 1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute or 2 egg whites, lightly beaten
- Butter-flavored cooked spray
Rest of Ingredients:
- 1-1/2 cups coarsely chopped fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1-1/2 cups shredded or diced roasted chicken
- 14-1/2 ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes, crushed
- 1-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 cup shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack or Mexican-blend cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- To make the crust, place the orzo, Parmesan cheese, and egg substitute or egg whites in a large bowl and stir to mix well.
- Coat a 10-inch pie pan with the cooking spray and pat the mixture evenly over the bottom and sides of the pan, forming an even crust. Spray the crust lightly with the cooking spray and bake uncovered for 10 minutes.
- While the crust is baking, coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and add the mushrooms and onions. Place the skillet over medium heat, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, for several minutes until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the undrained tomatoes, chili powder, and chicken to the skillet mixture. Cook uncovered, stirring occasionally, for about 5 minutes, until the mixture is thick.
- Spoon the chicken mixture into the baked crust and sprinkle the cheese over the top. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Cut into wedges and serve hot.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 7.7 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 426 milligrams
Cholesterol: 46 milligrams
Protein: 25 grams
Carbohydrates: 29 grams
1-1/2 Starch, 2-1/2 Lean Meat, 1 Vegetable
Source: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Book Title: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.