- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fresh chopped onion , chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup sliced green bell peppers, chopped
- 30 ounces whole-canned unsalted tomatoes, 2-15 ounce cans
- 30 ounces no-salt tomato sauce , 2-15 ounce cans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef or ground turkey
- Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic powder, and green pepper to oil. Cover and heat 2 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Mash tomatoes into small pieces and stir into tomato sauce.
- Add spices and tomato mixture to sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Brown beef or turkey in skillet. Place in a colander or strainer.
- Bring a tea kettle full or 3 quart sauce pan of water to a rapid boil. Place colander over a large bowl and pour boiling water over the meat to remove excess grease.
- Add meat to tomato sauce mixture and continue to simmer another 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove bay leaves and serve over pasta or rice.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 10 ServingsServing size: 1/2 cup
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 8.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 2.5 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Sodium: 67 milligrams
Protein: 14 grams
Carbohydrates: 23 grams
Sugars: 11 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
3/4 Fat, 1 1/2 Meat, 4 1/2 Vegetable
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.