- 2 tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup fresh chopped onion , chopped
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 3/4 cup sliced green bell peppers, chopped
- 30 ounces whole-canned unsalted tomatoes, 2-15 ounce cans
- 30 ounces no-salt tomato sauce , 2-15 ounce cans
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp dried basil
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1 pound 90% lean ground beef or ground turkey
- Heat oil in sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion, garlic powder, and green pepper to oil. Cover and heat 2 minutes, stirring occassionally.
- Mash tomatoes into small pieces and stir into tomato sauce.
- Add spices and tomato mixture to sauce pan. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer.
- Brown beef or turkey in skillet. Place in a colander or strainer.
- Bring a tea kettle full or 3 quart sauce pan of water to a rapid boil. Place colander over a large bowl and pour boiling water over the meat to remove excess grease.
- Add meat to tomato sauce mixture and continue to simmer another 20 minutes on medium heat.
- Remove bay leaves and serve over pasta or rice.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 10 ServingsServing size: 1/2 cup
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 8.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 2.5 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Sodium: 67 milligrams
Protein: 14 grams
Carbohydrates: 23 grams
Sugars: 11 grams
3/4 Fat, 1 1/2 Meat, 4 1/2 Vegetable
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.