- 2 cups tomato juice, preferably reduced-sodium
- 2 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 2 Tbsp. bread crumbs
- 1/2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup seeded and diced cucumber
- 1/4 cup finely diced green bell pepper
- 1 plum tomato, seeded and finely diced
- 1/4 cup red onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup zucchini, finely diced (optional)
- 1 hard boiled egg white, finely chopped (optional)
- In a blender, purée tomato juice, garlic and olive oil.
- Add bread crumbs and vinegar, and blend to combine. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour into a covered container and chill well, from 2 hours to overnight.
- When ready to serve, adjust seasonings if necessary.
- Divide soup among 4 serving bowls.
- Add 1 Tbsp. each of diced cucumber, pepper, tomato and onion, plus zucchini and egg white if desired. (Or add diced vegetables to juice mixture before serving.)
Many nutrition experts advise choosing vegetables and fruits in deep colors – dark green, yellow, orange and red. Since different colors often indicate the presence of different phytochemicals, eating a rainbow of colors is a good way to bolster your health defenses.
Recipe Yield: Makes 4 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 97 milligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.