Grapes are a smart choice to keep on hand for healthy snacking and eating, and the vibrant colors and flavors bring extra life to a basic protein – such as chicken.
For a unique twist on a main dish, dressing up chicken with an addition like fresh grapes is as elegant as it is delicious. This Seared Chicken with Grapes and Artichokes is a great example.
Recipe Yield: 4 servings.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts (8 ounces each), butterflied lengthwise into 4 cutlets
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 leek, white part only, halved and thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh oregano
- 1-1/2 cups quartered artichoke hearts, frozen, canned or jarred
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 cup low-sodium chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 3/4 cup green California grapes
- 3/4 cup red California grapes
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- Season chicken breasts with salt and pepper, to taste.
- In saute pan over medium-high heat, heat 1 tablespoon olive oil. Add chicken breasts and sear 3-4 minutes per side. Remove chicken and set aside.
- Add remaining olive oil to pan, along with garlic, leek and pinch of salt; cook on medium heat 2-3 minutes to soften leek.
- Stir in oregano, artichokes, wine, chicken stock, lemon juice, lemon zest and butter. Simmer 2-3 minutes then add chicken back to pan, basting each breast with sauce.
- Add grapes and simmer 3-5 minutes, or until grapes are just soft and chicken is cooked through.
- Stir in fresh parsley and serve.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 12 grams
Saturated Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Sodium: 390 milligrams
Cholesterol: 70 milligrams
Protein: 26 grams
Carbohydrates: 23 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵
Source: California Table Grape Commission