Ditch the sugary sodas and cool off with this unique infusion of rhubarb, orange and mint.
Recipe Yield: Makes 8 servings.
- 3 cups fresh rhubarb, cut crosswise in 1/2-inch slices, about
- 3/4 lb.
- 4 cups cold water
- 1 cup strawberries, sliced
- 1 cup orange juice
- 4 mint sprigs, for garnish
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
- In large, stainless steel or other non-reactive saucepan, combine rhubarb and water. Cover and bring to boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes. Set covered pot aside to steep for 10 minutes.
- Set large strainer over bowl. Pour contents of pot into strainer and drain liquid into bowl. Using back of wooden spoon, press very lightly on rhubarb, just to extract liquid that drains easily. Pressing too firmly will make infusion cloudy. Discard pulp.
- Pour liquid, about 4 cups, into jar or other container, preferably glass, and let sit until room temperature, then cover and refrigerate for up to 2 days.
- To serve Refresher: Measure 3 cups rhubarb infusion. Pour 1/2 cup into pitcher, add strawberries, and muddle until combined.
- Pour in remaining rhubarb infusion and orange juice.
- To serve, divide among 4 ice-filled, tall glasses.
- Garnish each glass with mint sprig, if using. For single serving, in a glass, combine 1/4 cup rhubarb infusion with 2 strawberries, and then add remaining 1/2 cup infusion, 1/4 cup orange juice and ice.
*Note:: optional: sweeten to taste with sugarfree sweetener, such as stevia, Splenda or Equal.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Calories from fat: zero
Fat: zero grams
Unsaturated Fat: zero grams
Saturated Fat: zero grams
Trans Fat: zero grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
Source: AICR Health e-Recipes, 5-22-2018
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.