- 4 crosswise slices of eggplant, skin on, approximately 1/2 inch thick
- 1 whole egg
- 1 egg white
- 1 tablespoon water or milk
- 2/3 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breasts (about 4)
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 cup tomato pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup grated mozzarella cheese
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F. Spray baking sheet with vegetable spray.
- In a small bowl, whisk together whole egg, egg white and water. On plate stir together bread crumbs, parsley and Parmesan. Dip eggplant slices in egg wash, then coat with bread-crumb mixture. Place on prepared pan and bake for 20 minutes, or until tender, turning once.
- Meanwhile, pound chicken breasts between slices of waxed paper to 1/4-inch thickness. Dip chicken in remaining egg wash, then coat with remaining bread-crumb mixture. heat oil and garlic in nonstick skillet sprayed with vegetable spray and cook for 4 minutes, or until golden brown, turning once.
- Spread 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce on each eggplant slice. Place one chicken breast on top of each eggplant slice. Spread another 1 tablespoon of tomato sauce on top of each chicken piece. Sprinkle with cheese and bake for 5 minutes or until cheese melts.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 11 grams
Sodium: 924 milligrams
Cholesterol: 127 milligrams
Protein: 35 grams
Carbohydrates: 19 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 4 Lean Meat
Source: The Best Diabetes Cookbook
Book Title: The Best Diabetes Cookbook