- 3/4 cup good quality marinara sauce
- 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Canola cooking oil spray
- 1 small onion, cut in crescents
- 6 medium white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, cut in thin strips
- Salt, as desired
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. grated Parmeggiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a small saucepan, heat marinara sauce, vinegar and soy sauce, just until hot. Season with pepper to taste and set aside.
- Coat medium non-stick pan liberally with cooking oil spray. Set pan over medium-high heat. Saute onion until lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, pepper and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are soft, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out pan.
- Whisk egg whites and egg with cheese, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Coat pan with oil spray and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add egg mixture, tilting pan to coat bottom evenly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until eggs are well-set, about 4 minutes. Slip spatula gently around edges, then underneath to loosen omelet. Slide it onto a serving plate.
- Spoon filling to cover half of omelet and fold omelet, covering filling. With a spoon, drizzle sauce in a ribbon effect across omelet. Serve immediately.
Additional info: 1 g. saturated fat, 3 g. dietary fiber
Recipe Yield: Makes two servings.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Sodium: 545 milligrams
Protein: 12 grams
Carbohydrates: 17 grams
3 Vegetable, 1-1/2 Low-Fat Meat
Recipe and image appear courtesy of American Institute for Cancer Research.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.