- 3/4 cup good quality marinara sauce
- 1/2 tsp. balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 tsp. reduced-sodium soy sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Canola cooking oil spray
- 1 small onion, cut in crescents
- 6 medium white mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 medium green bell pepper, seeded, cut in thin strips
- Salt, as desired
- 3 large egg whites
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp. grated Parmeggiano-Reggiano cheese
- In a small saucepan, heat marinara sauce, vinegar and soy sauce, just until hot. Season with pepper to taste and set aside.
- Coat medium non-stick pan liberally with cooking oil spray. Set pan over medium-high heat. Saute onion until lightly colored, about 3 minutes. Add mushrooms, pepper and a pinch of salt. Cook, stirring often, until mushrooms are soft, about 4 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Wipe out pan.
- Whisk egg whites and egg with cheese, a pinch of salt and a few grinds of pepper. Coat pan with oil spray and heat over medium-high heat until hot. Add egg mixture, tilting pan to coat bottom evenly. Reduce heat to medium. Cook until eggs are well-set, about 4 minutes. Slip spatula gently around edges, then underneath to loosen omelet. Slide it onto a serving plate.
- Spoon filling to cover half of omelet and fold omelet, covering filling. With a spoon, drizzle sauce in a ribbon effect across omelet. Serve immediately.
Additional info: 1 g. saturated fat, 3 g. dietary fiber
Recipe Yield: Makes two servings.
Content Continues Below ⤵
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Sodium: 545 milligrams
Protein: 12 grams
Carbohydrates: 17 grams
3 Vegetable, 1-1/2 Low-Fat Meat
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.