- 1 cup plain low-fat yogurt or light sour cream
- 3/4 cup peeled, seeded, finely chopped cucumber
- 1/2 teaspoon dried dill
Rest of ingredients:
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into thin strips
- 1 teaspoon lemon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 4 whole-wheat or oat-bran pita pockets (6-inch rounds), cut in half
- 8 leaves romaine lettuce
- 2 medium-small plum tomatoes, thinly sliced
- 4 slices red onion, separated into rings
- Combine all of the sauce ingredients and stir to mix well. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Combine the chicken, lemon pepper, oregano, and garlic powder in a medium bowl and toss to mix well. Coat a large nonstick skillet with olive oil and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and stir-fry for several minutes, until nicely browned and no longer pink inside. Remove the skillet from the heat and set aside.
- To heat the pita pockets, place them on a microwave-safe plate. Cover with a damp paper towel and microwave on high power for about 45 seconds. If heating only one pita at a time, microwave for only 15 seconds.
- To assemble the sandwiches, line each pita half with a lettuce leaf, add some of the chicken, tomatoes, onion slices, and sauce. Serve hot.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6.4 grams
Fiber: 5.4 grams
Sodium: 544 milligrams
Cholesterol: 69 milligrams
Protein: 36 grams
Carbohydrates: 40 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵
2 Starch, 3 Very Lean Meat, 1 Vegetable, 1/4 Low-Fat Milk, 1 Fat
Source: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Book Title: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan