- 4 medium beets, peeled, cut into julienne strips
- 8 ounces low-fat smoked Polish sausage, sliced
- 1/2-1 tablespoon margarine
- 6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 1 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 2 carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar or Splenda
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely chopped dill weed or parsley, as garnish
- Saute beets and sausage in margarine in Dutch oven 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth, cabbage, carrots, garlic, bay leaf, sugar, and vinegar; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour soup into bowls; sprinkle with dill weed.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 8 servings (about 1-1/4 cups each)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3.7 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.4 grams
Sodium: 437 milligrams
Cholesterol: 17.2 milligrams
Protein: 10.9 grams
Carbohydrates: 13 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
3 Vegetable, 1 Meat
Source: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes
Book Title: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.