- 4 medium beets, peeled, cut into julienne strips
- 8 ounces low-fat smoked Polish sausage, sliced
- 1/2-1 tablespoon margarine
- 6 cups reduced-sodium fat-free beef broth
- 1 small head red cabbage, thinly sliced or shredded
- 2 carrots, cut into julienne strips
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 2-3 teaspoons sugar or Splenda
- 2 tablespoons cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Finely chopped dill weed or parsley, as garnish
- Saute beets and sausage in margarine in Dutch oven 3 to 4 minutes.
- Add broth, cabbage, carrots, garlic, bay leaf, sugar, and vinegar; heat to boiling. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 20 to 30 minutes.
- Discard bay leaf; season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Pour soup into bowls; sprinkle with dill weed.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 8 servings (about 1-1/4 cups each)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3.7 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.4 grams
Sodium: 437 milligrams
Cholesterol: 17.2 milligrams
Protein: 10.9 grams
Carbohydrates: 13 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
3 Vegetable, 1 Meat
Source: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes
Book Title: 1,001 Delicious Recipes for People with Diabetes