- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 medium yellow onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 14-1/2 ounce can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 1 cup frozen (thawed) whole kernel corn
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro or sliced scallions
- Sprinkle the chicken with the cumin and pepper and toss to mix well. Set aside.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with the olive oil and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the chicken and cook for several mixture, until nicely browned. Add the onions, reduce the heat to medium, cover, and cook for a couple of minutes, until the onion softens.
- Add the undrained tomatoes to the skillet and let the mixture come to a boil. Reduce the heat to low, cover, and cook for 10 minutes. Add the corn and cook covered for 5 minutes more.
- Serve hot, topping each serving with a sprinkling of the cilantro or scallions. Serve over brown rice or whole-wheat couscous if desired.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5.2 grams
Saturated Fat: 0.9 grams
Fiber: 3.2 grams
Sodium: 403 miligrams
Cholesterol: 65 miligrams
Protein: 29 grams
Carbohydrates: 18 grams
3 Very Lean Meat, 1/2 Starch, 1-1/2 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat
Source: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Book Title: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.