- 1 well trimmed beef rib roast (2 to 4 ribs), small end, chine (back) bone removed (6 to 8 pounds)
- Salt and pepper
- 4 to 5 medium carrots, cut into 3 x 1/4 x 1/4 inch strips
- 1 small rutabaga, cut into 3 x 1/4 x 1/4 inch strips
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Heat oven to 350F. Place roast, fat side up, in shallow roasting pan. Insert ovenproof meat thermometer so tip is centered in thickest part of beef, not resting in fat or touching bone. Do not add water or cover. Roast 2-1/4 to 2-1/2 hours for medium rare; 2-3/4 to 3 hours for medium doneness.
- Remove roast when meat thermometer registers 135F for medium rare; 150F for medium. Transfer roast to carving board; tent loosely with aluminum foil. Let stand 15 to 20 minutes. (Temperature will continue to rise about 10F to reach 145F for medium rare; 160F for medium.)
- Meanwhile, place carrots, rutabaga and water in medium saucepan. Cover and cook over medium heat 13 to 15 minutes. Combine butter, brown sugar, lemon juice, lemon peel, dill weed and 1/4 teaspoon salt in small pan; cook over medium heat 2 to 3 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add butter mixture to vegetables; continue cooking, uncovered, 3 to 4 minutes or until vegetables are glazed, stirring occasionally.
- Carve roast into slices; season with salt and pepper, as desired. Serve with vegetables.
Recipe Yield: Makes 8 to 10 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 15 grams
Saturated Fat: 6 grams
Fiber: 1.5 grams
Sodium: 199 milligrams
Cholesterol: 122 milligrams
Protein: 48 grams
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
Recipe and photo appears courtesy of Cattlemen's Beef Promotion Board.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.