- 2-1/2 pound well-trimmed top round roast or flat half brisket
- 1/2 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 cup chopped onions
- 1 cup chopped red or green bell peppers or 1 cup roasted bell peppers, drained and chopped
- 14-1/2 ounce can diced Italian-style tomatoes, undrained
- 6-ounce can tomato paste with roasted garlic or Italian seasonings
- Rinse the meat with cool water and pat it dry with paper towels. Sprinkle both sides with some of the pepper.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with nonstick cooking spray and preheat over medium-high heat.
- Place the meat in the skillet and cook for 2 to 3 minutes on each side, until nicely browned.
- Place the mushrooms, onions, and bell peppers in a 3-quart slow cooker and top with the roast. Pour the tomatoes over the meat. Cover and cook on high for 5 hours or on low for 10 hours, until the meat is very tender.
- Remove the roast to a serving platter and cover loosely with aluminum foil to keep warm. Add the tomato paste to the remaining slow cooker mixture and stir to mix well.
- Slice the roast across the grain and serve hot accompanied by the sauce. Serve with pasta if desired.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 8 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5.7 grams
Saturated Fat: 1.7 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 440 milligrams
Cholesterol: 80 milligrams
Protein: 29 grams
Carbohydrates: 12 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
3 Lean Meat, 2 Vegetable
Source: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Book Title: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan