- Vegetable Oil spray
- 10 ounces fresh spinach OR 10-oz package frozen no-salt-added chopped spinach, thawed
- 3 cups cooked brown rice (about 1 cup uncooked)
- 2 cups nonfat or low-fat cottage cheese
- Egg substitute equivalent to 1 egg or 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon grated Parmesan cheese
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme, crumbled
- Pepper to taste
- 1 teaspoon light margarine
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion (3 medium)
- 3 medium cloves, garlic, minced, or 1-1/2 tsp bottled minced garlic
- 8 ounces fresh mushrooms, sliced (2 to 2-1/2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 tablespoons sunflower seeds
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly spray a 13x9x2-inch pan with vegetable oil spray.
- If using fresh spinach, remove large stems and tear leaves into bite-size pieces. If using frozen spinach, squeeze out moisture. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine rice, cottage cheese, egg substitute, flour, 1 tablespoon Parmesan, thyme, and pepper. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt margarine over medium-high heat. Saute onions and garlic until onion is translucent, 2 to 3 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add spinach and mushrooms. Cook, covered, for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add cottage cheese mixture and blend well. Spoon mixture into pan and sprinkle with 3 tablespoons Parmesan and sunflower seeds. Bake, uncovered, for 25 to 30 minutes.
Recipe Yield: Servings: 8
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 319 milligrams
Cholesterol: 8 milligrams
Protein: 13 grams
Carbohydrates: 25 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1/2 Bread/Starch, 1 Vegetable, 3/4 Low-Fat Milk
Source: The New American Heart Association Cookbook
Book Title: The New American Heart Association Cookbook
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.