- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled (60 mL)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (60 mL)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (2 mL)
- 4 fish fillets (1 lb/500 g), such as tilapia or cod, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 8 strips total
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh pico de gallo, salsa verde, or picante sauce (125 mL)
- 1 medium lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Combine flour, cornmeal, onion powder, and chili powder in a shallow dish, such as a pie pan. Coat fish with mixture.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add fish; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned and fish flakes with a fork. Place on a serving platter and sprinkle evenly with salt.
- Place fish in warmed tortillas, and top with equal amounts of avocado and pico de gallo. Squeeze a lime wedge over each tortilla.
Experts recommend eating seafood at least twice a week, so take a break from the standby beef taco and go with fish.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings.Serving size: 2 tacos
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 14 grams
Saturated Fat: 2.2 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Sodium: 335 milligrams
Cholesterol: 75 milligrams
Protein: 27 grams
Carbohydrates: 37 grams
Source: The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil from the American Diabetes Association