- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour, spooned into measuring cup and leveled (60 mL)
- 1/4 cup cornmeal (60 mL)
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (2 mL)
- 1/2 tsp chili powder (2 mL)
- 4 fish fillets (1 lb/500 g), such as tilapia or cod, rinsed, patted dry, and cut into 8 strips total
- 2 Tbsp canola oil (30 mL)
- 1/4 tsp salt (1 mL)
- 8 corn tortillas, warmed
- 1/2 medium avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/2 cup fresh pico de gallo, salsa verde, or picante sauce (125 mL)
- 1 medium lime, cut into 8 wedges
- Combine flour, cornmeal, onion powder, and chili powder in a shallow dish, such as a pie pan. Coat fish with mixture.
- Heat canola oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium high heat. Add fish; cook 3 minutes on each side or until browned and fish flakes with a fork. Place on a serving platter and sprinkle evenly with salt.
- Place fish in warmed tortillas, and top with equal amounts of avocado and pico de gallo. Squeeze a lime wedge over each tortilla.
Experts recommend eating seafood at least twice a week, so take a break from the standby beef taco and go with fish.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings.Serving size: 2 tacos
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 14 grams
Saturated Fat: 2.2 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Sodium: 335 milligrams
Cholesterol: 75 milligrams
Protein: 27 grams
Carbohydrates: 37 grams
Source: The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil from the American Diabetes Association
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.