- 2 pork shanks, fresh, about 3-4 pounds total
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 (32-oz) package sauerkraut, refrigerated, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 ounces beer, room temperature
- Season shanks with salt and pepper, set aside.
- In large Dutch oven or pot saute bacon to render fat, stir in onion and cook and stir until onion is tender but not brown; push to one side of pan.
- Add shanks and brown on all sides, about 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl stir together drained sauerkraut and remaining ingredients.
- Remove shanks, place sauerkraut mixture on bottom of pan, return shanks on top of kraut, drizzle beer over all.
- Cover and place in 350 degrees F. oven for 2-2 1/2 hours, until shanks are very tender.
It’s worth a call to the butcher to procure fresh pork shanks. These flavors will remind you of classic German sauerbraten. Let shanks oven braise, untouched, until very tender.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 25 grams
Saturated Fat: 9 grams
Sodium: 1120 milligrams
Cholesterol: 245 milligrams
Protein: 87 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Recipe and image appear courtesy of the National Pork Board.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.