- 2 pork shanks, fresh, about 3-4 pounds total
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 large onion, peeled and sliced
- 1 (32-oz) package sauerkraut, refrigerated, rinsed and drained well
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, freshly ground
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 teaspoons Dijon-style mustard
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 4 ounces beer, room temperature
- Season shanks with salt and pepper, set aside.
- In large Dutch oven or pot saute bacon to render fat, stir in onion and cook and stir until onion is tender but not brown; push to one side of pan.
- Add shanks and brown on all sides, about 15 minutes, turning occasionally.
- Meanwhile, in large bowl stir together drained sauerkraut and remaining ingredients.
- Remove shanks, place sauerkraut mixture on bottom of pan, return shanks on top of kraut, drizzle beer over all.
- Cover and place in 350 degrees F. oven for 2-2 1/2 hours, until shanks are very tender.
It’s worth a call to the butcher to procure fresh pork shanks. These flavors will remind you of classic German sauerbraten. Let shanks oven braise, untouched, until very tender.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 25 grams
Saturated Fat: 9 grams
Sodium: 1120 milligrams
Cholesterol: 245 milligrams
Protein: 87 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Recipe and image appear courtesy of the National Pork Board.