- 1 cup all-purpose white flour
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 2-1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 cup soft margarine (at room temperature)
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1/3 cup raisins
- 2/3 cup skim milk (keep 2 teaspoons aside for brushing the tops of the scones before baking)
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F. Sift the flours into a bowl with the baking powder and salt, tipping any leftover bran into the sifted mixture.
- Lightly rub in the margarine with your fingertips until the mixture has the consistency of fine bread crumbs.
- Mix in the sugar and raisins (the same quantities of dried mixed peel can be used instead) and add the milk a little at a time, mixing well until a soft dough is formed.
- Turn out onto a lightly floured board and roll out to a thickness of 3/4 inch. Using a 1-1/2-inch pastry cutter, cut out the scones, re-rolling the leftover dough as necessary until you have used it all.
- Place the scones on a lightly greased baking sheet, brush the tops with a little skim milk to glaze, and bake near the top of the oven for 15 - 20 minutes until golden.
- Cool on a wire rack until the scones are just warm, then serve.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Makes 18Serving Size: 1 scone
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 157 milligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1 Starch, 1/2 Fat
Source: Great Healthy Food - Diabetes
Book Title: Great Healthy Food - Diabetes