- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 tsp. Dijon mustard
- 2 Tbsp. white wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 15 fresh basil leaves, chopped coarsely
- 1 medium cucumber, seeded (or English cucumber) washed, sliced into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 2 Tbsp. green olives, pitted and chopped (capers may be substituted)
- 1 medium red bell pepper, seeded and quartered
- 1/2 large red onion, cut in half and then 1/4 inch slices
- 1/2 small loaf crusty whole-grain French or Italian bread, cut into 1-inch slices, halved
- In mixing bowl whisk garlic, mustard, vinegar, oil, salt and pepper and set aside.
- In large bowl gently combine basil, cucumber, tomatoes and olives.
- Brush bell peppers and onion slices on one side with oil mixture. Place oil side down on hot grill and cook for 3-4 minutes. Brush other side with oil mixture, turn over and cook an additional 3-4 minutes.
- Remove from grill. On cutting board, slice peppers into 1/2-inch slices and separate onion rings. Add to vegetables. Add oil mixture and toss to coat.
- Toast both sides of bread until nicely browned.
- On a serving platter layer bread and top with vegetables and basil mixture. Toss bread with vegetables if desired. Serve.
Recipe Yield: Makes 6 servings.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 11 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 187 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.