- 1 package (16 oz.) diced peeled butternut squash, or 1 1/4 lb. squash, seeded, peeled and diced
- Canola oil spray
- 1 can (15.5 oz.) pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 3/4 cup (3 oz.) crumbled reduced-fat feta cheese, divided
- 8 large (about 7-inch) corn tortillas
- 1 jar (16 oz.) salsa verde
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves, for garnish (optional)
- Place squash in medium saucepan. Add 1 cup water. Cover pot tightly, and place over medium-high heat. Cook until squash is tender but not mushy, 12-15 minutes, depending on size of cubes. Drain squash, and set aside.
- Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350 degrees. Select a baking dish just large enough to hold the eight tortillas, folded over and slightly overlapping, so that they fit snuggly in the dish. (You may want to "test" and see if the baking dish is the proper size by arranging unfilled, folded tortillas in it, as they would be once filled and ready to bake.) using the canola oil spray, lightly coat the interior of the baking dish and set aside.
- Place beans in mixing bowl. Using fork, partially mash beans. Add squash and blend, leaving mixture coarsely mashed, with some beans still whole. Mix in 1/2 cup of the cheese. Season filling to taste with salt and pepper.
- Coat a tortilla on both sides with cooking spray. Lay it on a plate. Spoon 3/4 cup of filling on one half of the tortilla. Fold tortilla in half over filling. Set it at one end of the baking dish. Repeat, placing filled tortillas so they overlap, filling baking dish tightly. Pour pureed sauce over assembled enchiladas. Sprinkle remaining cheese over sauce. Cover pan with foil.
- Bake enchiladas about 30 minutes, until they are heated through and tortillas are soft. Uncover and serve garnished with cilantro, accompanied by cooked brown rice, if desired.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Makes 8 servings.
Content Continues Below ⤵
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Sodium: 479 milligrams
Protein: 8 grams
Carbohydrates: 33 grams
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.