- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil or canola oil
- 1/2 cup diced yellow bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 cup diced, lean, reduced-sodium ham
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- 2 cups fat-free egg substitute
- 1 cup shredded, reduced-fat, white Cheddar or Swiss cheese
- Coat a large ovenproof skillet with the olive oil and preheat over medium-high heat. Add the peppers, ham, parsley, and black pepper and saute for several minutes, until the vegetables are crisp-tender and the ham is beginning to brown. Spread the mixture evenly over the bottom of the skillet.
- Pour the egg substitute over the skillet mixture and reduce the heat to medium-low. Cover and cook without stirring for about 6 minutes, until the eggs are almost set (the edges will be cooked but the top will still be runny).
- Remove the lid from the skillet and wrap the handle in aluminum foil (to prevent it from becoming damaged under the broiler). Place the skillet under a preheated broiler and broil for a couple of minutes, until the eggs are set but not dry. Sprinkle the cheese over the top and broil for another minute to melt the cheese. Cut the frittata into 4 wedges and serve hot.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings``Serving size: 1/4 of recipe
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 8.3 grams
Sodium: 690 milligrams
Cholesterol: 32 milligrams
Protein: 28 grams
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
4 Lean Meat, 1 Vegetable, 1/2 Fat
Source: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Book Title: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan