- 1 teaspoon salt, optional
- 1 head broccoli, trimmed and separated into spears
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
- 2-3 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 fresh jalapeno peppers, thinly sliced (with or without seeds, depending on desired hotness)
- 1/4 cup toasted pine nuts
- Few sprigs fresh coriander or parsley, chopped
- Bring a pot of water to the boil and add optional salt. Add the broccoli spears and boil over high heat for 3 to 5 minutes (depending on desired tenderness).
- Drain and transfer broccoli to bowl of ice cold water for 30 seconds. Drain and lay out the cooked spears decoratively on a presentation plate. Drizzle evenly with balsamic vinegar.
- In a small frying pan, heat olive oil over medium heat for 30 seconds. Add sliced jalapeno peppers (with seeds, if using) and stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes until softened.
- Take peppers with all the oil from the pan, and distribute evenly over the broccoli. Garnish with pine nuts and herbs.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 to 5 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 9 grams
Fiber: 6 grams
Sodium: 206 milligrams
Protein: 8 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
2 Vegetable, 1/2 Lean Meat, 1-1/2 Fat
Source: America's Everyday Diabetes Cookbook
Book Title: America's Everyday Diabetes Cookbook