- 2 pounds mussels
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup finely diced onions
- 2 teaspoons crushed garlic
- 1 can (14 oz.) tomatoes, drained and chopped
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil (or 1/2 teaspoon dried)
- 1-1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh oregano (or 1/4 teaspoon dried)
- Scrub mussels under cold water; pull off hairy beards. Discard any that do not close when tapped. Set aside.
- In large non-stick saucepan, heat oil; saute onions and garlic for 2 minutes. Add tomatoes, wine, basil and oregano; cook for 3 minutes, stirring constantly.
- Add mussels; cover and cook until mussels fully open, 4 to 5 minutes. Discard any that do not open. Arrange mussels in bowls; pour sauce over top.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 421 milligrams
Cholesterol: 15 milligrams
Protein: 8 grams
Carbohydrates: 12 grams
2 Vegetables, 1/2 Lean Meat, 1/2 Fat
Source: The Best Diabetes Cookbook
Book Title: The Best Diabetes Cookbook