- 12 ounces turkey Italian sausage, casings removed
- 1-1/2 cups chopped fresh mushrooms
- 10-ounce package frozen chopped broccoli or spinach, thawed
- 1 teaspoon crushed garlic
- 2-1/2 cups cooked thin spaghetti (about 5 ounces dry)
- 1-1/4 cups shredded reduced-fat mozzarella or provolone cheese
- 2 cups fat-free egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Olive oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray and place over medium heat. Add the sausage and cook for several minutes, stirring to crumble until the sausage is no longer pink.
- Add the mushrooms, broccoli or spinach, and garlic. Cover and cook for a few minutes more, until the vegetables are tender. Drain off any excess liquid.
- Place the sausage and vegetables in a large bowl and toss in the spaghetti. Next toss in the mozzarella and egg substitute.
- Respray the skillet with cooking spray and spread the pasta mixture evenly in the dish. Sprinkle the Parmesan cheese over the top and spray the top lightly with the cooking spray.
- Bake uncovered for about 20 minutes, until the center of the pie is set but still moist. Let sit for 5 minutes before cutting into wedges and serving.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 servings``Serving size: 1/6 of recipe
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 10 grams
Sodium: 745 milligrams
Cholesterol: 62 milligrams
Protein: 30 grams
Carbohydrates: 22 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
1-1/4 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 3-1/2 Lean Meat
Source: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Book Title: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan