- 1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms (15 g)
- 2 Tbsp warm water (30 mL)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 6 Tbsp white whole-wheat flour (90 mL)
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth (500 mL)
- 3/4 tsp salt (optional) (4 mL)
- 1 tsp onion powder (5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper or to taste (1 mL)
- Soak mushrooms in warm water for 5 minutes.
- In 2 quart saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Whisk in flour until blended and continue stirring until roux is lightly browned and develops nutty aroma.
- Whisk in broth, optional salt and onion powder. Bring to a gentle boil until just thickened, stirring. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with pepper. Add softened mushrooms and any soaking liquid.
- Puree gravy in food processor or food mill. Return mixture to saucepan. Heat just to a simmer.
While it sounds luxuriously rich, this gravy is light on calories and fat so you can enjoy all of the flavour with none of the guilt.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 2 cups (500 mL); 8 servings. Serving size: 1/4 cup (60 mL).
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 115 miligrams
Protein: 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 5 grams
Source: Cheryl Forberg, R.D.
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.