- 1/2 oz dried porcini mushrooms (15 g)
- 2 Tbsp warm water (30 mL)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp canola oil
- 6 Tbsp white whole-wheat flour (90 mL)
- 2 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth (500 mL)
- 3/4 tsp salt (optional) (4 mL)
- 1 tsp onion powder (5 mL)
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper or to taste (1 mL)
- Soak mushrooms in warm water for 5 minutes.
- In 2 quart saucepan, heat canola oil over medium heat. Whisk in flour until blended and continue stirring until roux is lightly browned and develops nutty aroma.
- Whisk in broth, optional salt and onion powder. Bring to a gentle boil until just thickened, stirring. Cook and stir for 1 minute. Remove from heat and season with pepper. Add softened mushrooms and any soaking liquid.
- Puree gravy in food processor or food mill. Return mixture to saucepan. Heat just to a simmer.
While it sounds luxuriously rich, this gravy is light on calories and fat so you can enjoy all of the flavour with none of the guilt.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 2 cups (500 mL); 8 servings. Serving size: 1/4 cup (60 mL).
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 115 milligrams
Protein: 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 5 grams
Source: Cheryl Forberg, R.D.