- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1 (14 to 16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried summer savory
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups canned or cooked navy beans
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy saucepan. Add the onion and celery and saute over moderate heat until they are golden. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, sugar, and seasonings.
- Bring to a simmer, then stir in the beans. Add a pinch of salt and a grinding of pepper. Simmer, covered, over very low heat for 45 minutes. Taste to adjust seasonings and serve hot. Makes 6 Servings.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 35 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 29 grams
2 Starch; 1 Very Lean Meat
Source: Vegetarian Celebrations
Book Title: Vegetarian Celebrations
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.