- 1 Tbsp canola oil
- 1 cup minced onion
- 1/2 cup minced celery
- 1 (14 to 16-ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 3 Tbsp light brown sugar
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried summer savory
- 2 bay leaves
- 1-1/4 to 2-1/2 cups canned or cooked navy beans
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- Heat the oil in a deep, heavy saucepan. Add the onion and celery and saute over moderate heat until they are golden. Stir in the crushed tomatoes, sugar, and seasonings.
- Bring to a simmer, then stir in the beans. Add a pinch of salt and a grinding of pepper. Simmer, covered, over very low heat for 45 minutes. Taste to adjust seasonings and serve hot. Makes 6 Servings.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2 grams
Sodium: 35 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 29 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
2 Starch; 1 Very Lean Meat
Source: Vegetarian Celebrations
Book Title: Vegetarian Celebrations
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.