- 2 cups pitted, sweet cherries
- 2 T sugar
- 2 T water
- Pinch of salt (1/8 tsp)
- 2 T fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp freshly grated lemon rind
- 1 T Kirsch (or 1 tsp cherry flavoring)
- Place cherries, sugar and water in a medium saucepan. Simmer for 4 minutes. Using a slotted spoon, remove the cherries and set aside.
- Dissolve the 2 T cornstarch in 2 T cold water. Bring the syrup to a boil and stir the cornstarch mixture into the boiling juice, stirring as it thickens. Add salt, lemon juice, lemon rind, and Kirsch. Cook, stirring occasionally for 7 minutes.
- Return the cherries to the syrup and cook for 3 minutes more. Remove from heat and pour into a sterile jar. Syrup may be stored for up to 2 weeks in the refrigerator.
Recipe Yield: Prep Time: 15 Minutes - Cost: $``Servings: 2 cups (1 tbsp per serving) - Difficulty Level: 3
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Sodium: 22 milligrams
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
Source: Cinnamon Hearts Newsletter