- 2-1/2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth or vegetable broth
- 2 cups sliced shiitake mushroom caps or button mushrooms (3 ounces)
- 1 cup wild rice
- 6 tablespoons sliced almonds
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 bunch scallions, trimmed and thinly sliced (about 2 cups)
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- Bring broth to a boil in a medium saucepan over high heat. Stir in mushroom and wild rice. Return to a boil. Reduce heat to very low, cover, and simmer until the rice has "blossomed" and is just tender, 45 to 55 minutes. Drain any remaining liquid and transfer the rice to a serving bowl.
- Meanwhile, toast almonds in a small dry skillet over medium-low heat, stirring constantly until golden brown and fragrant, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer to a plate to cool.
- About 5 minutes before the rice is done, melt butter in a medium nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add scallions and cook, stirring often, until softened and still bright green 2 to 3 minutes. Stir the scallions, almonds, and pepper into the rice. Serve warm.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 servings``Serving Size: 3/4 cup
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Sodium: 60 milligrams
Cholesterol: 4 milligrams
Protein: 8 grams
Carbohydrates: 25 grams
1 Starch, 1 Vegetable, 1 Fat
Source: The Eating Well Diabetes Cookbook
Book Title: The Eating Well Diabetes Cookbook
Recipe Options - Cool Things You Can Do
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.