- 2 bell peppers, preferably a mix of yellow, green or red
- 1/2 (16-ounce) package Jennie-O Extra Lean Ground Turkey Breast
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh basil or 1 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, if desired
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 (14-1/2-ounce) can low-sodium diced tomatoes or seasoned diced tomatoes, drained
- 1/2 cup cooked white or brown rice
- 3/4 cup shredded low-fat Cheddar cheese, divided
- paprika, if desired
- fresh parsley, if desired
- Heat oven to 375F.
- Cut bell peppers lengthwise through stems keeping stem halves intact to hold stuffing. Discard seeds and veins.
- Cook peppers in boiling salted water 5 to 6 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and immediately place peppers in ice water to stop cooking process. Drain peppers well and place cut side up in 8 x 8-inch baking dish.
- Cook ground turkey as specified on the package. Always cook to well-done, 165F as measured by a meat thermometer.
- Add onion, garlic, basil, salt, if desired, ground pepper, tomatoes, and rice; continue to cook 5 to 6 minutes or until heated through and most of the juices have reduced.
- Remove meat mixture from heat and stir in 1/2 cup cheese.
- Mound heaping 1/2 cup of mixture into each pepper half.
- Bake 20 minutes or until filling is hot and peppers are tender.
- Remove peppers from oven and sprinkle remaining 1/4 cup cheese on top of peppers. Sprinkle with paprika and parsley, if desired.
Always cook to an internal temperature of 165F. Learn how to safely handle turkey.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 2.5 grams
Saturated Fat: 1 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 210 milligrams
Cholesterol: 30 milligrams
Protein: 20 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Sugars: 5 grams