- 1 Fish Tacos Pacific halibut fillet
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- 4 lettuce leaves
For California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa
- 2 medium Ancho chiles, wiped clean, stemmed and seeded
- 1 pink grapefruit, chilled
- 1 ripe Fresh California Avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1/2 bunch chives, chopped
- 1/2 Cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1-1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa: Toast Ancho chiles directly over a medium gas flame or in a cast-iron skillet until soft and brown. Turn frequently to avoid scorching. Slice toasted chiles into 1-inch strips, then into a fine julienne.
- Slice ends off grapefruit and stand the fruit upright on your work surface. Cut away peel and membrane, exposing fruit. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, separate the grapefruit sections by slicing with a knife between membranes. Remove and discard seeds.
- Cut grapefruit segments and avocados into 1/2-inch dice. Toss with toasted Ancho chiles and chives in a medium mixing bowl. Gently stir in reserved grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Let sit 30 minutes before serving.
- Fish Tacos: On the stovetop, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat or prepare a medium-hot grill. Drizzle halibut with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill until barely done, 2 to 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Remove fish from grill, cool slightly, and pull apart into large flakes.
- Place warm tortillas on a work surface. Line each with a piece of lettuce and chunks of fish.
- Top each with a generous spoonful of California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa. Serve immediately.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servingsServing size: 2 tacos
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 18 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 5.5 grams
Sodium: 568 milligrams
Cholesterol: 41 milligrams
Protein: 32 grams
Carbohydrates: 32 grams
Source: Recipe created by chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger for the California Avocado Commission. Â© courtesy of California Avocado Commission.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.