- 1 Fish Tacos Pacific halibut fillet
- Extra virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- 8 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- 4 lettuce leaves
For California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa
- 2 medium Ancho chiles, wiped clean, stemmed and seeded
- 1 pink grapefruit, chilled
- 1 ripe Fresh California Avocado, halved, seeded and peeled
- 1/2 bunch chives, chopped
- 1/2 Cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1-1/2 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa: Toast Ancho chiles directly over a medium gas flame or in a cast-iron skillet until soft and brown. Turn frequently to avoid scorching. Slice toasted chiles into 1-inch strips, then into a fine julienne.
- Slice ends off grapefruit and stand the fruit upright on your work surface. Cut away peel and membrane, exposing fruit. Working over a bowl to catch the juices, separate the grapefruit sections by slicing with a knife between membranes. Remove and discard seeds.
- Cut grapefruit segments and avocados into 1/2-inch dice. Toss with toasted Ancho chiles and chives in a medium mixing bowl. Gently stir in reserved grapefruit juice, orange juice, lime juice, olive oil, salt and pepper. Let sit 30 minutes before serving.
- Fish Tacos: On the stovetop, heat a grill pan over medium-high heat or prepare a medium-hot grill. Drizzle halibut with olive oil, season with salt and pepper, and grill until barely done, 2 to 5 minutes per side, depending on thickness. Remove fish from grill, cool slightly, and pull apart into large flakes.
- Place warm tortillas on a work surface. Line each with a piece of lettuce and chunks of fish.
- Top each with a generous spoonful of California Avocado, Grapefruit and Toasted Ancho Salsa. Serve immediately.
Large avocados are recommended for this recipe. A large avocado averages about 8 ounces. If using smaller or larger size avocados adjust the quantity accordingly.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servingsServing size: 2 tacos
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 18 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 5.5 grams
Sodium: 568 milligrams
Cholesterol: 41 milligrams
Protein: 32 grams
Carbohydrates: 32 grams
Source: Recipe created by chefs Mary Sue Milliken and Susan Feniger for the California Avocado Commission. Â© courtesy of California Avocado Commission.