- 3/4 cup uncooked brown rice
- 6 skinless chicken breasts, or 6 skinless chicken thighs and drumsticks (about 2 pounds)
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon canola or corn oil
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons fresh thyme, or 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (14-15 ounce) can diced tomatoes, with juice
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 2 tablespoons dried currants
- 2 tablespoons slivered almonds
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Prepare a shallow baking pan with non-stick pan spray.
- Add the rice to 3 cups boiling water in a medium saucepan; cover and simmer 50 to 60 minutes.
- While the rice is cooking, put the chicken in the prepared pan. Bake, uncovered, 20 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, saute the onion, pepper, and garlic in the oil in a large skillet for 5 minutes, until tender; add the curry powder, thyme, and salt and blend thoroughly. Add the tomatoes with their liquid, and the parsley; heat to a simmer.
- Pour the sauce over the chicken and sprinkle with the currants. Cover and bake at 350 degrees F. for 25 minutes.
- While the chicken is cooking, toast the almonds in a small skillet over medium heat for 3 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant.
- To serve, arrange the chicken parts next to 1/2 cup rice on individual plates. Divide the sauce over the rice. Sprinkle the almonds over the chicken.
Serving Size: 1 breast half, or 1 drumstick and thigh, plus 1/2 cup rice and 1/2 cup sauce.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 Servings
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 8 grams
Fiber: 3 grams
Sodium: 469 milligrams
Cholesterol: 73 milligrams
Protein: 30 grams
Carbohydrates: 28 grams
Sugars: 7 grams
1-1/2 Starch/Bread, 1 Vegetable, 4 Very Lean Meat, 1/2 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes