- 1/2 pound mussels (optional)
- 1/2 pound medium-size shrimp
- 1/2 pound halibut or cod fillets
- 1 teaspoon virgin olive oil
- 2 shallots, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 2-1/2 cups canned Italian plum tomatoes
- 2 cups clam juice or fish stock
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 teaspoon dried leaf basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried leaf thyme
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon hot pepper flakes
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 pound bay scallops
- Scrub mussels well to rid them of beards and sand. Discard any open ones. Peel and devein shrimp. Cut halibut into bite-size pieces.
- In a large non-stick saucepan, heat oil. Add shallots and cook until soft. Add garlic and tomatoes, cook, stirring 1 minute.
- Add clam juice, wine, basil, thyme, pepper flakes, pepper and bay leaf. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- Add halibut and simmer 5 minutes. Add shrimp and scallops and cook 5 minutes more. Add mussels, cover pan and simmer about 5 minutes until mussels open, discarding any that do not open.
- Discard bay leaf.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 584 milligrams
Cholesterol: 108 milligrams
Protein: 28 grams
Carbohydrates: 12 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
3 Low-fat Meat, 2 Vegetable
Source: Light and Easy Diabetes Cuisine
Book Title: Light and Easy Diabetes Cuisine