- 1-1/2 teaspoon no-salt chili powder blend
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne
- 6 (4 ounce) halibut steaks (3/4-to 1-inch thick)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- Vegetable oil cooking spray
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 2/3 cup chunky tomato salsa
- 2 tablespoons chopped green onion
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- In a small bowl, combine chili powder, cumin, and cayenne. Mix well. Place halibut on a large plate. Brush both sides of fish with lime juice and sprinkle both sides with chili powder mixture. Let stand at room temperature for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, spray a grill rack with cooking spray. Preheat a gas grill to medium or prepare a medium-hot fire in a charcoal grill, with the rack placed 4 to 6 inches above the heat.
- In a medium bowl, combine black beans, salsa, green onion, and cilantro, and mix well. Set aside.
- Place fish on the grill, cover the grill and cook for 10 to 14 minutes or until fish is opaque and flakes easily with a fork, turning once. Serve bean salsa with fish. Garnish with fresh cilantro.
- Note: To broil halibut, place on a broiler pan and broil 4 to 6 inches from heat 10 to 14 minutes or until fish flakes easily with a fork, turning once.
Serving Size: 4 ounces fish with 1/3 cup salsa.
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 4 grams
Fiber: 4 grams
Sodium: 62 milligrams
Cholesterol: 55 milligrams
Protein: 31 grams
Carbohydrates: 10 grams
4 Very Lean Meat, 1/2 Starch, 1/2 Vegetable
Source: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Terrific Diabetic Meals
Book Title: The Complete Idiot's Guide to Terrific Diabetic Meals
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.