- 1/2 cup diced dried dates
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 tablespoons chopped walnuts
- 1 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup firmly packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup low-fat (1%) milk
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon granulated sugar, for topping
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a 9x5-inch loaf pan with nonstick spray.
- Place the dried dates and water in a small saucepan; heat over medium heat until the water simmers; reduce the heat to low and simmer, 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and set aside.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, walnuts, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg, and salt. Make a well in the center.
- In another medium bowl, stir together the brown sugar, milk, oil, egg, and vanilla until well blended. Pour into the well of the flour mixture; stir just until combined (do not over-mix), about 1 minute. Pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean, about 35 minutes. Cool in the pan on a rack, 5-10 minutes, then remove from the pan and place on the rack to finish cooling.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 16 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Sodium: 71 milligrams
Cholesterol: 14 milligrams
Protein: 2 grams
Carbohydrates: 24 grams
1-1/2 Carbohydrate, 1 Fat
Source: Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking
Book Title: Forbidden Foods Diabetic Cooking
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.