- 1/2 tsp. ground coriander
- 1/4 tsp. ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- Pinch tsp. ground cardamom
- Pinch tsp. ground black pepper
- 1/2 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breast, cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch strips
- 3 tbsp. canola oil, divided
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 yellow bell pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 1/3 cups canned fat-free refried kidney or pinto beans
- 8 flour tortillas (7-8 inch)
- 1 1/3 cups cooked brown rice
- 4 Tbsp. reduced-fat sour cream
- 1/2 cup (loosely packed) cilantro leaves, roughly cut up
- 1 cup prepared salsa
- Combine ground spices in a bowl. Add chicken and press spices in so they adhere. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Bring to room temperature before cooking.
- Heat 2 teaspoons oil in a medium skillet over medium-high heat. Sauté chicken until cooked through, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate. Cut chicken into bite-size pieces and set aside.
- Add remaining oil to the pan. Sauté onions and pepper until soft and lightly browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer with a slotted spoon to the chicken, mix in and set aside. Add beans to the pan and cook, stirring until they are warmed.
- Warm tortillas in a large, dry skillet over medium high heat. Spread one-fourth of the beans in center of each. Top with rice, then chicken mixture. Add a dollop of sour cream and a sprinkle of cilantro leaves. Fold sides of tortillas over the filling, then fold in ends. Turn the burrito over. Serve with salsa sauce on the side.
Recipe Yield: Makes 8 servings
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 10 grams
Sodium: 562 milligrams
Protein: 16 grams
Carbohydrates: 48 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
3 Bread/Starch, 2 Lean-Meat, 1 Fat
Recipe and image appear courtesy of American Institute for Cancer Research.