- 1/2 cup brown basmati rice
- 1/3 cup French green lentils
- 2 cups fat-free vegetable broth
- 3 large summer squash (about 2-2 1/2 lb.), halved
- 1 Tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 2/3 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 garlic cloves, finely chopped 3 whole scallions, chopped
- 3 cups escarole, rolled up and sliced thin
- 1-2 Tbsp. finely-chopped fresh dill (optional)
- 1/4 cup chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes, optional
- Salt and freshly-ground black pepper
- 6 Tbsp. crumbled feta cheese
- Combine the rice, lentils and vegetable broth in a deep saucepan with 1/2 cup water. Cook, covered, until the rice and lentils are tender, about 45 minutes. Drain and transfer to a mixing bowl.
- If using yellow squash, cut off the necks. Scoop out the seeds with a spoon. In a large pot of boiling water, cook the squash 4 minutes. Drain and transfer to a bowl of ice-cold water. When completely cooled, pat the squash dry and set aside.
- Place a rack in the center of the oven. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat the oil in a pan over medium-high heat until hot. Sauté the onion 3 minutes. Add the garlic and scallions. Cook until the onion is soft, about 5 minutes. Stir in the escarole and pepper flakes (if using). Cook until the escarole is wilted and bright green, about 5 minutes. Stir the vegetables into the rice mixture. Mix in the dill and parsley. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- In a baking dish just large enough to hold them, arrange the squash. Spoon in the filling, generously mounding it. Sprinkle on the feta. Pour 1/2 cup water into the baking dish.
- Bake, uncovered, until the cheese is soft, about 20 minutes. Serve warm or at room temperature, or refrigerate, covered in foil, until ready to use. Reheat before serving.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 6 servingsServing size: halved zucchini
Content Continues Below ⤵
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5 grams
Saturated Fat: 2 grams
Fiber: 5 grams
Sodium: 240 milligrams
Protein: 7 grams
Carbohydrates: 27 grams
2 Bread/Starch, 1 Reduced-Fat Milk, 1 Fat
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.