- 3 large eggs, slightly beaten, or 3/4 cup egg substitute
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 2 cups fat-free milk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch of ground cinnamon
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, salt, and nutmeg. Slowly stir in the milk and vanilla.
- Pour 1/2 cup of custard into each of six 5-ounce custard cups. Sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Set the filled custard cups in a shallow pan. Pour about 1 inch of hot water in the pan around the custard cups.
- Bake on the center rack of the oven for 35 minutes, or until a knife inserted in the custard comes out clean. Serve hot, warm, or chilled.
Recipe Yield: Makes: 3 cups (6 servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Sodium: 171 milligrams
Cholesterol: 108 milligrams
Protein: 6 grams
Carbohydrates: 8 grams
Sugars: 8 grams
1/2 Other Carbohydrate, 1/2 Medium-Fat Meat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes