- 3 baking potatoes (about 1 pound total)
- 3 tablespoons prepared salsa or picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese with jalapenos
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Do not bake the potatoes in the microwave for this recipe, because the skins will become too soft. Prepare a cookie sheet with nonstick pan spray.
- Wash the potatoes and poke them with a fork or the tip of a knife in several places. bake the potatoes 1 hour, or until tender; cool.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the pulp, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells. (Reserve the pulp for another use.) Cut each shell in half lengthwise; place on a cookie sheet.
- Combine the salsa and margarine; brush over the insides of shells. Bake until crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the skins with cheese; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Recipe Yield: Makes: 12 Potato Skins (6 servings)Serving Size: 2 potato skins
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 115 milligrams
Cholesterol: 6 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Sugars: 1 grams
1 Starch, 1/2 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes