- 3 baking potatoes (about 1 pound total)
- 3 tablespoons prepared salsa or picante sauce
- 1 tablespoon margarine, melted
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded reduced-fat Monterey Jack cheese with jalapenos
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F. Do not bake the potatoes in the microwave for this recipe, because the skins will become too soft. Prepare a cookie sheet with nonstick pan spray.
- Wash the potatoes and poke them with a fork or the tip of a knife in several places. bake the potatoes 1 hour, or until tender; cool.
- Cut the potatoes in half lengthwise. Carefully scoop out the pulp, leaving 1/4-inch-thick shells. (Reserve the pulp for another use.) Cut each shell in half lengthwise; place on a cookie sheet.
- Combine the salsa and margarine; brush over the insides of shells. Bake until crisp, about 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle the skins with cheese; return to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted. Serve warm.
Recipe Yield: Makes: 12 Potato Skins (6 servings)Serving Size: 2 potato skins
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 3 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 115 milligrams
Cholesterol: 6 milligrams
Protein: 4 grams
Carbohydrates: 14 grams
Sugars: 1 grams
1 Starch, 1/2 Fat
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.