- 1 orange
- 1 tablespoon light-brown sugar or light-brown sugar substitute
- 1-1/2 teaspoons poultry seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 bunch green onions
- 1 cup chopped fresh parsley (reserve stems)
- 1 turkey (about 17 pounds)
- 1/2 cup milk
- 6 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon poultry seasoning
- Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Remove rind from orange with a vegetable peeler, avoiding bitter white pith. Finely chop rind. Cut orange in half; juice orange halves. Reserve juice for making gravy; reserve orange halves.
- Combine rind, brown sugar/brown sugar substitute, poultry seasoning and salt in a small bowl. Finely chop white part of green onions; reserve green part. Add chopped green onions and chopped parsley to rind mixture.
- Remove neck and giblets from turkey cavity. With your fingers, carefully loosen skin around turkey breast and legs. Spread rind mixture under the skin. Place parsley stems, green onion ends and orange halves in turkey cavity.
- Place turkey on a rack in a large roasting pan. Place neck and gizzards in bottom of pan. Loosely tent turkey with aluminum foil. Roast in heated 350 degree oven 3-1/2 hours or until an instant-read thermometer registers an internal temperature of 180 degrees F in innermost part of thigh and 170 degrees in breast.
- Remove turkey to a platter. Discard neck and gizzard. Cover loosely with foil; let stand 20 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare gravy: Scrape pan drippings into a 1-quart liquid measuring cup. Skim off fat. Add water to equal 4 cups. Pour into a medium-size saucepan along with reserved orange juice. Bring to simmering.
- Whisk together milk, flour, salt and poultry seasoning in a small bowl until smooth. Stir into saucepan. Simmer over medium-high heat, stirring, 4 minutes or until gravy is thickened. Serve with carved turkey.
Recipe Yield: Servings: 24
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 12 grams
Sodium: 218 milligrams
Protein: 28 grams
Carbohydrates: 3 grams
4 Low-Fat Meat
Source: Family Circle's "All-time Favorite Recipes
Book Title: Family Circle's "All-time Favorite Recipes