- 1 tablespoons canned chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup fat-free egg substitute
- 1 slice turkey bacon, cooked
- 1 slice (3/4 ounce) reduced-fat Monterey Jack or cheddar cheese
- 1 whole-wheat or oat-bran English muffin, toasted
- 1 tablespoon salsa (optional)
- Coat a medium-sized nonstick skillet with cooking spray and preheat over medium heat.
- Stir in chilies into the egg substitute, then pour the mixture into the skillet. Cook without stirring for a minute or two, until the eggs are set around the edges.
- Use a spatula to life the edges of the eggs and allow the uncooked egg to flow underneath the cooked portion. Cook for another minute, until the eggs are almost set.
- Fold the eggs in half, then fold in half again (so it will fit on the English muffin).
- Break the bacon slice in half, lay it over the eggs, and then top with the cheese slice. Reduce the heat to low, cover and cook for another 30 seconds, until the cheese begins to melt. Place the egg, bacon, and cheese on the bottom half of the English muffin.
- Top with the salsa if desired, cover with the top half of the muffin, and serve hot.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 1 serving
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 5.2 grams
Fiber: 4.6 grams
Sodium: 842 milligrams
Cholesterol: 21 milligrams
Protein: 22 grams
Carbohydrates: 28 grams
2-1/2 Lean Meat, 2 Starch
Source: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan
Book Title: The Complete Diabetes Prevention Plan