- 2 cups egg substitute (500 mL)
- 3 Tbsp fat-free milk (45 mL)
- 2 cups (2oz/60 g) loosely packed baby spinach (500 mL)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves (30 mL)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered (250 mL)
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves (2 mL)
- 1/2 cup (2 oz/60 g) reduced-fat feta cheese (125 mL)
- Combine egg substitute and milk in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Place spinach and basil in another medium bowl; set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and rosemary, and cook 2 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add to bowl with spinach and basil, toss, and cover to allow spinach to wilt slightly and flavors to blend while preparing omelets.
- Reduce heat to medium. Wipe skillet clean with a damp paper towel. Coat skillet with canola oil cooking spray and place over medium heat until hot. Pour half of egg mixture into skillet. Cook 5 minutes; as eggs begin to set, gently lift edge of omelet with a spatula and tilt skillet so uncooked portion flows underneath.
- When egg mixture is set, spoon half of tomato mixture over half of omelet. Top with half of feta cheese. Loosen omelet with a spatula and fold in half. Slide omelet onto serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1/2 omelet.
Content Continues Below ⤵
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6 grams
Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 445 milligrams
Cholesterol: 5 milligrams
Protein: 16 grams
Carbohydrates: 5 grams
Source: The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil from the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.