- 2 cups egg substitute (500 mL)
- 3 Tbsp fat-free milk (45 mL)
- 2 cups (2oz/60 g) loosely packed baby spinach (500 mL)
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh basil leaves (30 mL)
- 1 Tbsp canola oil (15 mL)
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, quartered (250 mL)
- 1/2 tsp chopped fresh rosemary leaves (2 mL)
- 1/2 cup (2 oz/60 g) reduced-fat feta cheese (125 mL)
- Combine egg substitute and milk in a medium bowl and whisk until well blended.
- Place spinach and basil in another medium bowl; set aside.
- Heat canola oil in a small nonstick skillet over medium-high heat. Add tomatoes and rosemary, and cook 2 minutes or until soft, stirring frequently. Add to bowl with spinach and basil, toss, and cover to allow spinach to wilt slightly and flavors to blend while preparing omelets.
- Reduce heat to medium. Wipe skillet clean with a damp paper towel. Coat skillet with canola oil cooking spray and place over medium heat until hot. Pour half of egg mixture into skillet. Cook 5 minutes; as eggs begin to set, gently lift edge of omelet with a spatula and tilt skillet so uncooked portion flows underneath.
- When egg mixture is set, spoon half of tomato mixture over half of omelet. Top with half of feta cheese. Loosen omelet with a spatula and fold in half. Slide omelet onto serving plate and cover with foil to keep warm. Repeat with remaining ingredients.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 4 servings. Serving size: 1/2 omelet.
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 6 grams
Saturated Fat: 1.5 grams
Fiber: 1 grams
Sodium: 445 milligrams
Cholesterol: 5 milligrams
Protein: 16 grams
Carbohydrates: 5 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵
Source: The Heart-Smart Diabetes Kitchen: Fresh, Fast and Flavorful Recipes Made with Canola Oil from the American Diabetes Association and CanolaInfo