- 1-1/2 pounds fresh asparagus
- 1/4 cup water
- 4 cups fat-free, low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (15-ounce) can no-salt-added cream-style corn
- 2 teaspoons low-salt soy sauce
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons cold water
- Egg substitute equivalent to 3 eggs, or 3 large eggs
- 2 (6-ounce) cans crabmeat, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 6 medium green onions (green part only), finely chopped
- Chili garlic sauce to taste (optional)
- Trim the asparagus and cut into 1-inch pieces. Put in a microwave-safe dish with 1/4 cup water. Microwave, covered, on 100 percent power (high) for 5 minutes, or until tender-crisp. Don't overcook. Drain well.
- In a large saucepan, bring the broth to a boil over high heat. Stir in the corn, soy sauce, and salt. Return to a boil. Meanwhile, put the cornstarch in a cup. Add 2 tablespoons water, stirring to dissolve. Pour into the broth mixture, stirring constantly.
- Pour the egg substitute into the boiling soup in a thin stream. Remove from the heat.
- To serve, spoon 1/2 cup asparagus into each bowl. Ladle the broth mixture over each serving. Top with the crabmeat and sesame oil. Sprinkle the green onions over each serving.
- Serve the chili garlic sauce on the side.
This Cantonese-style soup is practically a meal in itself.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 8 servings
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 1 grams
Sodium: 278 milligrams
Cholesterol: 38 milligrams
Protein: 15 grams
Carbohydrates: 17 grams
Source: Reprinted with permission from The New American Heart Association Cookbook, Seventh Edition, Copyright 2004 by the American Heart Association. Published by Clarkson Potter/Publishers.
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.