- 2-1/2 pounds Golden Delicious apples, cored and cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Combine the apples, 3/4 cup water, and the lemon juice in a large non-stick pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Push the apples through a food mill or strainer to puree and remove skin.
- Return the applesauce to the pot of water; add the cinnamon, cloves, mace, and brown sugar.
- Simmer, uncovered, over low heat until mixture thickens, about 45 to 60 minutes, stirring often.
- Cover and refrigerate. Apple butter keeps in the refrigerator for 1 week. Freeze for longer storage.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 3 Cups (24 Servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fiber: 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
Sugars: 6 grams
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.