- 2-1/2 pounds Golden Delicious apples, cored and cut into eighths
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/8 teaspoon ground mace
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- Combine the apples, 3/4 cup water, and the lemon juice in a large non-stick pot.
- Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Cover and simmer for 30 minutes. Drain.
- Push the apples through a food mill or strainer to puree and remove skin.
- Return the applesauce to the pot of water; add the cinnamon, cloves, mace, and brown sugar.
- Simmer, uncovered, over low heat until mixture thickens, about 45 to 60 minutes, stirring often.
- Cover and refrigerate. Apple butter keeps in the refrigerator for 1 week. Freeze for longer storage.
Recipe Yield: Yield: 3 Cups (24 Servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fiber: 1 grams
Carbohydrates: 7 grams
Sugars: 6 grams
Source: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes
Book Title: The New Family Cookbook for People with Diabetes