- 3 pounds lean boneless pork shoulder or butt, well trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 tablespoon canola or corn oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Three 4-ounce cans green chilies, or one 10-ounce can jalapeno pepper or 6-7 large fresh Anaheim or California peppers, seeded and chopped
- 3 medium tomatoes, seeded and chopped
- 1/2 cup packed chopped cilantro, or 2 tablespoons ground coriander
- 1 tablespoon wine vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano or 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon dried cumin
- Brown the pork in the oil in small batches in a large nonstick skillet or Dutch oven. Remove and set aside.
- Saute the onion and garlic in the pan about 5 minutes, until lightly browned. Add the pork and all remaining ingredients, plus 1/4 cup water.
- Cover and simmer on top of the stove, or bake in a 325 degree oven, for 1-1/2 to 2 hours, or until the pork is tender. Skim any fat from the surface before serving.
Recipe Yield: Yield: Makes about 7 cups (7 servings)
Nutritional Information Per Serving:
Fat: 10 grams
Fiber: 2 grams
Sodium: 624 milligrams
Cholesterol: 92 milligrams
Protein: 33 grams
Carbohydrates: 8 grams
Sugars: 5 grams
Content Continues Below ⤵ ↷
2 Vegetable, 4 Lean Meat
Source: Light and Easy Diabetes Cuisine
Book Title: Light and Easy Diabetes Cuisine
Scroll down to comment or see what others said. You can also share, rate, print, email or Favorite this recipe to your Recipe Box right now.